Saturday, January 31, 2009

Cash Registers before Creativity.

I was doing some homework the other night AKA watching Youtube and saw that TheHill88 (2nd most subscribed Aussie on Youtube) had posted an interesting video. On closer inspection it was clear that TV station Fox had slipped some money towards Caitlin Hill to do some promotion for the show Fringe. Sounds pretty good, using influential people in the existing (Youtube) community to endorse a new property.


How I was wrong...



Caitlin, the first was enough pain, please no more of that rubbish!



NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO


It was not until I started looking at the comments that I realised that I was by myself and that she had actually converted a number of her viewers.




If I took a step back this was actually successful for Fox. I think that sometimes I am guilty of putting my perfect new media marketing hat on, unless it is breaking new ground it is just not cutting it for me.

Its kind of like when I get all hot and flustered when I see a Alternate Reality Game or I will dismiss an ad if it has been done in another country.

Who cares if So you think you can dance have copied an overseas idea? As long as it gets people interested in the show, who cares if they were the first to come up with the concept?

EDIT:
The So You Think You Can Dance comment was in response to the recent flash mob efforts which were covered on Mumbrella which included some unhappy markerters commenting on the piece.



Cash Registers before creativity!

0 comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online