Thursday, September 14, 2006

Deep Well of Love

"We are often unaware of the deep well, the sanctuary of love, within us, and our capacity to love with the very love of God. We may in fact be frightened of this loving tenderness that we sense rising within us because we see it as weakness." Jean Vanier (John's hero).

Sometimes my love feels like weakness. I feel silly for crying, because when someone is hungry or grieving, what good do my tears do? But my tears come from a deep well of love that God continually puts in my heart for others. My love causes me great pain, because I feel that I always want to do more. When I visit someone who has had both legs amputated, or is on their deathbed, or who doesn't know how to pay for their hospital bills, or who is grieving their son, my prayer or my song or my few dollars or my tears seem so insufficient. But I wouldn't trade the pain of loving for anything, because it accompanies great joy - in sharing in the life and suffering and joy of others.

There is so much death and pain, but there is also hope. Last night I got to hold a 9 day old baby. She was adorable, and it did my heart good to literally hold new life. I have a persistent, unrelenting belief that there is always hope. God is good.

0 comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online